Sunday, May 17, 2009

Reframing

Danielle and I have both struggled with our weight for awhile now.  It is really nice doing the marathon with her because it allows me to share how I feel with someone who is going through the same thing and it is great to have someone to help motivate you.

We were discussing negative self talk and how it effects us.  I never really believed in that psycho-mumble jumble before but as I am trying to change my lifestyle for my girls I am wondering if it really does matter.  Danielle mentioned a conversation with her husband where she couldn't see how gorgeous she is and he was dumbfounded.  She is a amazing but I can agree it is so hard to see yourself as beautiful.  I really want my girls to love themselves and see that they are beautiful no matter what.  I want to be a good example for them so I am going to try and reframe my self talk.  No more, "I am fat" etc I am going to focus on how fit I am.  I feel that will work because it isn't lying to myself and it is something I have control over.  In time I would like to have the confidence again to look in the mirror and say,"Day-umn!"  I think focusing on being fit and instead of the weight lose or possible gain will be better for my self worth in the long run.

I worry so much about body image and how girls are so effected by it.  I sometimes want to pack up my family and move to some remote mountain cabin just to shelter them from the evils of society.  It saddens me when my sister talks about how the kids called her fat and made fun of her.  It really hurt her and I don't want that for my girls.  AT. ALL.


No comments:

Post a Comment