Friday, August 21, 2009

What Not To Be

Tonight in between packing I watched a bit of What Not To Wear and it had a 46 year old Mother, who felt embarassed that people were telling her how good she looked and didn't think she deserved to be put first. She kept talking about how her kids were always first. You could tell that at one point she was a neat woman because she had some cool tattoos but she was so used to putting herself last that all the new clothes and learning to love herself was really hard. It struck me how easy it is to fall into the kids are first trap and how important it is for us to put ourselves first. What example are we setting for our children? Confidence and self worth are so important. And I think the only way that you can teach that is through example. That is why I think it is so important to take care of myself and love myself now. My self-esteem really tanked during and after my pregnancy with Zoe. Mike gets annoyed with me but I just can't see myself in a good light anymore and I used to have good confidence. That is why losing weight and more importantly changing my lifestyle is so important to me. It is for me and my girls.

1 comment:

  1. I totally understand where you are coming from! I have good days... but most days I can't even look in the mirror... I wouldn't trade anything in the world for my child... but I often ask why it had to ruin my body. It really puts strain on a marriage when one person feels this way and the other says they don't see what the other sees. And I do the same thing as that lady... my kid comes first. I tried to get out and get my hair done..and it ended up costing twice as much as it should have! I still feel guilty about it! That money could have bought my kid a whole new closet full of clothes! I agree that self esteem and confidence are things that we need to teach our children.. I will try to be better at this. Thanks Melynda :)

    ReplyDelete