Thursday, October 7, 2010

Georgia Ruth is here!

My darling baby is finally here!  The end is so hard because it is so near but so far away at the same time.  I was so tired and emotional at the end.  Mike was so wonderful, he made the last couple of days so much easier. 

My due date came and went.  I was annoyed and I realized on Sunday (a day after my due date) that if I didn't have the baby soon, I wouldn't have as much help.  So I decided to see if doing any induction stuff would help.  I brought out my breast pump and sat on my exercise ball and planned on going for spicy food.  The pump did the trick and started contractions. I sent Mike and the girls to go for lunch. I enjoyed the time to myself and I set up a nice little labour spot. I read my book, timed contractions and bounced on my ball. Just after the pumping I would have contractions 3 min apart last 30-40s and then they would space out. I used my pump for about 2 hrs every 15 min for 5 min. Then I decided to call and let my labour team know that today could be the day. As I was talking away and not concentrating my contractions spaced out to 7 min and then 10 min.


Then Mike and the girls got home, so I stopped timing but was still able to have 3 or so good contractions with the girls basically on top of me. Zoe was very clingy. Mike thought we should head into the city and get comfortable in our hotel room. I was weary of this because I didn’t want to waste money because I wasn’t entirely convinced it was the real thing. Mike convinced me to forget about the money and to think of it as a vacation away from home. So my Dad took Zoe and then my Mom and Ally drove up in their own vehicle.

I had 3 good contractions on the way in and then we got situated in the hotel ordered dinner. After dinner I took the pump out but it didn’t have the same effect on the contractions. Around 9pm Mike and I went and laid down, we decided that it was going to be an all nighter so rest was important and to stop timing contractions because it was distracting and making me anxious. I lay down and tried to sleep and just as I was about to fall asleep I would have a very intense contraction. Mike thought that the relaxing was key to having labour progress.

At 11pm, I was having a bit of rectal pressure and I was worried that the baby was in a bad position so I phoned my midwife to see if I should do anything different. My contractions were 8 min apart and lasting over a 1 min at this point. Shortly after talking to my midwife I felt like I had to throw up. Somewhere in the back of my head I knew that this could mean transition but I didn’t believe it because my contractions were so far apart. I tried to have a few contractions sitting up in bed but it was really painful and I was feeling pushy. So I decided to sit on the toilet and I wanted to push and was pushing a bit. So we called my midwife and she said if you want to birth at the birth center you better go now. I didn’t quite understand the hurry at that point because I didn’t believe I was anywhere close to real labour. I just thought she was in a bad position, like Ally was.

We got to the birth center which was half a block away. And my back up midwife was there which kind of confused me and she was running. As we walked in she asked if she should start the tub. As you can tell I was a bit out of it and didn’t get the hurry. We got to the birth center I think at about 1 am. I got into the tub and Georgia Ruth was born at 1:24 am. I didn’t get checked at all. I was waiting for my midwives’s to check me and basically give me ‘permission’ to push. I need to ask how they knew I was fully dilated with no cervical lip. My SIL made it just in time and thankfully brought her camera because we forgot ours. And my best friend missed it by like 10 min. Ally did amazing and was fascinated by her sister. It was cute Mike took Georgia as I delivered the placenta and Ally sang to her and touched her. The placenta took a very long time to come close to an hour. I wasn’t bleeding so there was no worry. I also did not tear, my mw kept going on about how you couldn’t tell i had just had a baby. And Georgia had her hand up by her face too!

We are doing well, even with the lack of sleep and a few tears on my part.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy she's finally here! And I love her name!! What a quick labour too! I'm sure you've got your hands full - enjoy getting to know Georgia!

    ReplyDelete