Wednesday, March 10, 2010

First Midwife Appointment

I had my first appointment today and it was with my favorite midwife Nadine.  I love her!  She is so nice and kind of on the hippy side.  She works part time and so far hasn't been at any of my births but I really hope she will be at my next one.

We talked about where I am going to birth because I am in Didsbury  now I can't have a home birth which really saddens me.  I loved my birth with Zoe it was just perfect.  We talked about the birth center or birthing in a hotel.  Sounds fun, eh?  I love the hotel idea just because then I get the benefit of giving birth and walking to my bed and staying there.  That is my favorite part of a homebirth.  But I also really enjoyed  making noise last time (weird, I know) so I think that would be weird in a hotel.   And I also like a bit of a party at my births.  I want Ally to be there for sure, my mom, sister, sister -in-law, a friend or two and of course Mike.  So I think the birth center will be it even though the downside is that I have to leave 3 hrs after the birth.  Ugh!

So the appointment was pretty standard.  I have a bunch of lab tests to do and will need to book my 20 week ultrasound.  The disappointing thing is that Nadine couldn't find the heart beat.  I have been very nervous about the heartbeat since Saturday when my nausea decreased a ton.  But it is very early I am only 10 weeks 4 days.  I want to rent a doppler but I know that will just feed my insanity and stress more.  I know that if I keep trying and can't find it then I will be a basket case.  I am reminding myself that it is early and that there is really nothing I can do either way.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you like your midwife, that's super important!

    Boo non not finding a heartbeat, though. I've been there with that particular neuroses, and I promise that not being able to find it on a home doppler just increases the worry that much more. That said, I bet you could find it now, a week later, without any problem. Maybe call her and see if she can put your mind at ease by trying again?

    Birthing in a hotel?! I didn't know that was even legal. Is it some special setup or just any old rented room?

    Either way, I hope you find a location that is suitable to your tastes, I am bummed every.single.pregnancy. at not being able to have a homebirth, and legally I can't use a birth center either, so it is always the hospital for me, forevermore, unless I go it without ANY midwife. Needless to say I am not comfortable with that yet, so I am stuck in the maternity ward of one of our local hospitals. You have a LOT of options open to you to consider, and all are bound to be better than that!

    ReplyDelete