Sunday, May 23, 2010

Cracking the Whip

Life has finally calmed down and I think spring might be here.  Last week we had two nice days and we spent a lot of time outside and it was fabulous.  I can't wait for it to get nice again.  My goal for the summer is to spend most of the time outside.

Things are calmer but I still feel like I have too much to do but I am not really doing any of it.  I am not a cleaner infact I really hate it but I love a clean house.  When my house is messy it feels like a weight is on my and the worse it gets the crankier I get and I feel like I am suffocating.

In my last post I talked about how a fellow blogger started a schedule and how it made everything so much easier for her and her family.  I was and am inspired.  I know that if I was more efficient with cleaning that it wouldn't weigh me down so much and that I could actually do the things I want to do.  I would rather be doing crafts with Ally and playing with the girls. 

So after a talk with Mike I am going to set up a schedule and stick to it.  I am a big fan of rewards so I am going to bribe myself along the way.  I did the bribes with my marathon and it really  helped me to look at the steps of the goal and not get overwhelmed by the shear size of it.

This is what I want to achieve this week:
1. Keep my house clean - we are going to do a big clean tomorrow and I want to maintain it because I will be away next weekend but my brother-in-law will be coming and having guests when my house is messy stresses me out.  So my goal is to have the house clean so on Friday I am not doing a mad clean.

2. Exercise - I want to start going for walks again and I would like to do this once this week.  This may seem small but it is a 4 day week.  Eventually I would like to be going 3 or more times a week, bike riding twice and maybe even getting back on the WII.

3. I want to cut down my computer time.  'Nuff said but I am going to try and blog my progress.

4. I want to get my sewing room set up again so that I can start sewing again in the evenings.

So, wish me luck because I am naturally a lazy person but I need to get a good system going before #3 comes because things will get more difficult.

2 comments:

  1. You and I are so alike it's crazy... in fact this could have been me writting this... good luck with the scheduling.
    I couldn't keep one when my kids were little... but it worked well when they were finally school age

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Mel! It did help me immensely. Today Is my baking day and I have to make some things for the family for the week as well as for a get-together with friends tonight. I have an hour and a half set aside for it, and then more time during my exercise and free time to get any additional cooking done, and my kids still played outside, got their cartoon time, lunch, and a nap while I am working on my things.

    For me, rotating chores each day is definitely the trick, along with waking up at a set time. For that hour and a half of chore time each day, I do the following:

    Monday: baking for the week
    Tuesday: mop all the tile and wood (my entire downstairs!)
    Wednesday: clean downstairs bathroom and the girls bathrooms
    Thursday: vacuum upstairs and dust/straighten all bedrooms
    Friday: clean master bathroom

    This literally cleans my housetop to bottom, along with keeping up with the dishes after every meal (I scheduled in cleanup and prep time to those slots) and moving laundry throughout the day. By doing that for the week, it literally takes a few minutes to pick up toys and spot clean before people come over or daddy comes home for the night. I hate cleaning too, but knowing I am doing it for just a small fraction of my day makes it a lot more manageable, and things don't build up :)

    ReplyDelete